Sunday 9 February 2014

Memories of the Sunday lunch tradition

          We must all have memories of Sunday lunch mustn't we? Having said that, I really don't have any such memories as a child. How strange, I thought I had many, but find them ...missing. I don't think my Mother ever did Sunday lunch when I was a child. Rather, I remember Sunday high tea at my grandmothers. This was always substantial, with all the extended family around the table, then playing cards for fun, after. Perhaps that is why I don't remember any lunchtimes at home. Two such meals might have been too much in one day. Although I remember large meals being served at all times. They were big eaters, working on the land they needed to be, but there again, at my Grandmothers. All I remember were other meals, breakfast porridge, something in the pantry. Nothing to help me here, I fear.
          As I write this, I am starting to see my memories of Sunday lunch, came much later. At fourteen, Sunday lunch, complete with Yorkshire puddings, was the first full meal, I cooked on my own. With long, and full instructions from my Mother before she went to work, backed up by my fathers admonitions. I remember I was quite able to time it all ok, feelingi as if I had achieved something. My Father ate it that first time, and got me to iron his suit whilst it cooked, so all went well really. My mother worked at the local rest home, doing the weekend shift. By then, the Sunday tea at my Grandmothers were no more. It's strange how I did not notice the going of them. Also, of course my Father demanded a cooked lunch whether Mother was there or not. Those were the days when men did not touch anything in the kitchen of course. No matter how chaotic, or busy the family. It was unthinkable he should be left with no meal, and his daughter there. All I am trying to say, was how entrenched, and how traditional was the lunchtime meal. In England I mean, probably in the UK. I know in America, and the antipodes too.
                                A universal, rather relaxed lunch at the farm.
       The roast meat, chicken, beef, pork, even lamb, the roast, and boiled vegetables, the batter, or Yorkshire pudding, gravy...of course. Or Jus....as they call it now, in homage to the French? Aren't we all experts today on how to cook the perfect roast, and everything else. The right way to cook this, the only way to cook that, al dente vegetable, fluffy potatoes, and on, and on ad nauseum. Perhaps not the best phrase to use when talking of food. I do often have the feeling all is not lost as far as the skills of cooking go.

        The use of the words lunch, luncheon or dinner go back many years. They are everchanging, to fit with how the tradition around them changes. Lunch used to be a snack, now it's advised to be the biggest meal of the day. On account of health, and fitness, dieting really I suppose. Breakfast was once not taken at all, not it's  advised not to be missed, as it kick starts the metabolism. Or maybe I read too many diet books.
       We tend to eat out more often today. Preferring quick snack, or meals in cafe, or restaurants. Personally, it's my favourite. I love to eat out, and take any excuse to do so. Even fast food joints are popular, although not with me. It's obvious by the full eating places that many prefer to eat out, and if you can afford to, why not. I think anything that brings the family together to eat is good. The bad trend is more, and more for phones, and iPads at the table. Ban them I say, bring back conversation. Share some time together in your busy lives. 
       As a child, I was not listened to that much at table. But it was an unbreakable rule we all sat down together. I know I learnt an awful lot from listening what conversations went around the dinner table. Not least I learnt what sort of people my family was, and what I should be too. Invaluable with today's children I would have thought. As so many things have changed.
        I know times have changed, but let's not throw baby out with the bath water. Keep the good stuff, find the time to cement the family unit. Who knows what good changes might come of it.
       Eventually, make some good new habits folks, it has to better than the isolation at work in too many families. I know I'm going to keep working on it. Even though the family is spread about.
        Enjoy your family mealtimes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment