Tuesday 11 February 2014

A snippet of a rainy Ramsgate

          Scenes today, as I drove through Ramsgate, in Kent. Going through the seafront centre, by the harbour, the roads wet, and shiny with rain. The wind, and rain still lashing across the sloping roads, the windscreen, and the poor pedestrians. The streets were almost bare of people, although some hardy few struggle through the weather. The four, or five left on the street, no doubt doing their necessary jobs, those that had to be done.  Their bundled figures, almost blowing along the harbour front, bent, hiding as best they could from the weather. There were no umbrellas, it being far too windy for those. Each must manage as best they can, exposed to the weather.
      
 Single decker buses, the red, blue and orange 'Loop' route, stand waiting, parked both sides of the road, depending on which way they are headed. Thereby leaving only a narrowed centre of the road for two way traffic passing through. As it is windy, the scattering of other drivers, squeezing through the gap as best they may, all drove too fast. The wind making crazy people of them all. A fact I often attested too, when on playground duty as a teacher. On windy days, the smaller children in particular, zoomed, like mad things, screeching, around the playground. It seems the urge kicks in again, as drivers. The rain fell even more heavily as I pulled up to the zebra crossing just before the opposite bus stops. The light turns red, on stop, as I approached. The couple of people waiting, were already on the move as  I drew up in my car. Not waiting for the light to turn fully. These people, like the drivers, in too much of a hurry to be elsewhere, to think of safety. As I sit, dry and warm inside the car, the engine running, waiting for the flashing of the beacon to start, signalling I can go, I watch the boats, beside the road, in the harbour.
            The harbour, as always, is full to the brim. Today's angry weather, causing even those sheltered boats, to bob, and clang  as the wind buffeted their orderly lines. Only masts, and lines on show, all sails furled in harbour, as always. Yet they all seemed alive, as if ready, waiting for the 'off ' in some strange race. One where they could only go around in rectangles, of their mooring pattern. Beyond them, over the low harbour wall, the choppy dark grey sea seethed, ready I am sure, to beat back any who made it out into the sea. The leaden, darker grey sky, hung menacingly over all.
            The beacon flashes, bringing me back to alertness behind the wheel. The traffic queue of three cars behind me, ready. The two buses still parked, waiting, stolidly waiting for the correct leaving time. Engines idling, offering any potential passenger a haven of dry for a short period. I was glad it did not include me. Weather such as this, is far better faced within your own vehicle. The thought making me appreciate the blast of warm air, blowing into the car from the front heating vents.

            Taking a last glance at the road ahead, between the buses, I drive off, up the hill ahead of me. Heading towards a cosy, cliff top pub, and my lunch. Once there, parked, braving the force of the wind, almost too strong to fight. Crossing the narrow road, hair, and coat flying in the wind. Until I find the doorway I seek. Inside, soon sitting at my favourite table, by the window, I have coffee, a newspaper to read, safe and cosy whilst the wind outside beat the sea of the bay into angry peaks. What did I care? All it was to me then, was a pretty picture...one I would enjoy for a while.
            You must make the best of every situation, mustn't you.
            lucky me. Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment