Saturday 1 March 2014

Eating out around the Kent coast

      There is nothing I like more than eating out. If ever you ask me what I would like to do, it's that. Ah the joy of deciding which direction to head, climbing in the car, and off I go. It's the gypsy in me, well that's my excuse anyway. Except I don't need one, I like getting about a bit. I also like driving, I like being out, seeing the world. Let's face it, there is still a lot of wonderful world to see. I may have already seen a great deal of it, but everywhere are hidden pockets of excellence, of beauty, or of newness to still find. I guess I will never tire of travelling until I no longer have legs to carry me, or eyes to delight in want I see. Even then, I bet I can find a way to continue.
        I know, today it's no big deal, I'm only talking about a little bit of the Kent coast, and finding places to snack. However, each time I think of going somewhere, I get that same jolt of interest, of excitement. Once you decide where to go, you can enjoy the drive I find. I avoid the motorways, people around you all going hell for leather, wanting to draw you into the racing circuit. Speed, that's what motorways are all about. Everyone wants to get somewhere fast. Or worse, faster than the next man, or in my case, woman. That's not what my outings are about at all. I just want to get somewhere without being rushed along like a lunatic, I want to see a bit of what I am passing.
               Winter willow trees can be the brightest colours
             At least, I see the weather, the sky, what the  hedgerows are doing, that sort of thing. Are the willow trees that lovely bright range of colours you see in the winter, the bare branches become magical, as they turn red, orange, or yellow. Perhaps there are buds, or blooms on the trees, and bushes, showing that wonderful fresh lime green of new growth. I get real joy from looking, there is always so much to see.
                     Flowers, crocus, pushing through the earth, is a sure sight of spring.
        Right now, with spring trying to break, there are flowers pushing up through the grass. Yesterday I saw a few carpets of crocus, poking their little pointed noses up to the sky, both purple, and yellow. A carpet of vivid colour, under the bare trees. How they cheer the heart, and gladden the eye. Larger banks of daffodils are showing through, the green shoots growing straight, and already quite tall. There are few yellow blooms yet, not even the buds, fattening, ready to burst. Yet the promise is there, and I am looking forward to seeing those bright yellow skirts soon. 
        Of course, as a careful driver, you see a few crazy moves on the roads about you. I don't  let it faze me though, I am prepared, defensive driving is what you need. It's a normal response, in both Australia, and New Zealand. Along with arriving at your destination, having enjoyed the trip, universal that one. That doesn't mean I'm a Sunday driver though. No, I'm fast enough, but as my Father used to say, "a fast driver, is a dangerous driver". Something I wholeheartedly agree with.
         Living on the coast, I can set off in almost any direction to find somewhere pretty, or interesting  to eat. Over the course of a couple of years, you find the places that serve what you want, how you want. I have a batch of favourite places. I don't look for large meals, I like tasty snacks, good food, at a good price. The ambience of the place has to be right as well. The people friendly, the service good. The chairs comfortable, the place kept warm if it's cold, or space outside in the sun, if it's warm. I don't mind the tables being crowded together, I know people have to be able to make a profit. They need to get as many people in as they can. I don't expect to find everything I like in evry establishment, two, out of three is good. Or, even two, out of four. Some places, are better in the cold, some in the warmth, but I know them all. Too much you think, too many likes, and dislikes. Why not, if you enjoy something, make sure you make the most of it, I say!
                   The yacht harbour Ramsgate. With the cafes across, at the buildings 
          I can eat OK in a few places in Ramsgate, along by the harbour. Opposite the yacht harbour itself actually, where it's possible to watch the crowded water, with it's forest of masts. It's lovely when the sun shines, glinting on the white paintwork, and glass of the boats. You can sit outside, under cover of the awning, feeling the sun, or the breeze. Have a coffee, take the air, before going for stroll along the esplanade, or by the beach,  a mere couple of steps away. It's nice when it's cold too, huddling inside, watching the world through the large windows. There are half a dozen or more very different places along there, not far from the water. From a typical fish & chip shop, of reasonable quality, a 'Peters' fish shop, to a strange 'Belgium' cafe, with interesting food, which have some good, fresh fish dishes, and sadly, uncomfortable, mismatched furniture. A large, but gloomy place to sit, late night too, if you're a night owl. To a more traditional cafe/restaurant of 'Miles', which was once my clear favourite. Good selections of food, the breakfast dishes are good, as are the sausages, and the lunchtime 'specials'. The decor is nice, but is still trying to find its feet after going through a change of ownership last year. Mostly with common mistakes made by the staff. The other places, are something between these two opposites. Plenty of choice for any taste, regardless, and all welcoming in their own fashion. In any, I can sit for as long as I want, I can write on my iPad, read, or just people watch. Always a fascinating pastimes, and always grist for the mill. Most have Internet connections too, although not all are good connections. Still, the harbour is the place to go, nowhere further into town has reasonable food. Although there are some interesting ones around, I need to investigate again. As things change.
                         The friendly interior of the Albion hotel, Broadstairs.
           Or, if I head for Broadstairs, there are four, or five places to eat. Again all close to each other, this time, on the cliff front, overlooking the sea. The largest, and no doubt the oldest is 'The Albion Hotel.' A place renowned for hosting several stays by Charles Dickens. It's amazing comfortable, nice staff, wonderful views, but to be honest, mediocre food. With only a couple of dishes more than reasonable. One is a smoked salmon, and cream chees bagel, with rocket. The other, are a variety of reasonable, well filled sandwiches. Sometimes, a 'special' is so bad, it's as if they let someone in the kitchens to experiment.....badly. The  ambiance of the place, makes up for it, however. It's a pleasant place to spend a couple of hours. The next best is a little place called 'Peens', again on the seafront. There unfortunately, the chairs, are hard. Old fashioned wood, but the eager to please staff, and the quality of all the food, and it's prices, are excellent. You can eat the special very cheaply, or a wonderful Sunday lunch, or any number of far more unusual dishes, than can be found elsewhere. I like things put together with flair, or with some imagination. Many of the unusual combinations change daily, or they did until last week, when new menus were introduced. I am now, officially worried as to the end result. There are other places in that vicinity, an Italian, excellent food, but expensive, and unfriendly service. A little cafe on the corner, another pub, but the cafe, too crowded, with staff more important than the customers, the other pub, too expensive for the food quality.
                Inside the Sir Stanley Grey pub. Pegwell. Belongs Pegwell hotel across the road.
            There are many others scattered about the region. An excellent pub in Pegwell, called 'The sir Stanley Grey' with food served at all times, good quality, good prices, friendly staff, menu changes slightly every day. Whilst the pub next door to it, serves good enough food, but cannot be relied upon to be serving any! They stick to outdated hours, and always seem to be closed for food, or on the verge of closing. What good is that to anyone, and it more than annoying. Certainly no good for me, I can't be bothered to keep trying. Then, Sandwich has the best fish,& chips in the area, called 'Papas'. Overlooking the river,  and too small to sit in comfort, and too old fashioned, but take away, and you can't go wrong. 
                                The French deli, The No Name cafe. Sandwich.
There is a upper floor French cafe called 'No Name' in the middle of town. Being over a wonderful, if expensive deli it's well worth a visit. The food is good, but no bargains to be had. Experienced staff, but no warmth of welcome. A little too professional for comfort. I don't think they would welcome me sitting there too long either. The only other one worth mentioning is the big pub, 'The Bell'. It's old fashioned comfort, in a modern setting. Very much a hotel first, and restaurant, and bar second. For snacks, try the very comfortable hotel lounge, rather than the dining room. It's a nice experience, no one bothers you, but food is good but not cheap. It's rather special occasion stuff.  At least I can sit in the lounge, or the bar end of the restaurant as long as I like.
                           The comfortable,  Bell Hotel, Sandwich.
          There you have it, a quick taste, so to speak, of a few eateries. It would take you longer than a two week holiday to explore even those few. But it's fun trying. Or, maybe it's not, because if, being England, you hit a whole series of very bad eateries, then it ruins, really ruins going out to eat altogether. I find England has a long way to go, in terms of gastronomy, yet we have so many wonderful little towns,an d villages to explore. May they catch up, soon.
           
            
          

No comments:

Post a Comment