Saturday 22 March 2014

Bring back spring

          After really getting into spring, watching the daffodils, and crocus shoot, enjoying the sun..albeit weak, it's gone. Today, instead of 20 degrees, it's now 8...agggg. Hate it, hate it, immensely. You know, I remember a few years back when summer came early. The whole of March was like summer. OK it left again, but it was a pretty good summer, as I recall. What is in store for us here in England this year I wonder. All. I know is, my toes, as I sit in my living room, are freezing. Of course, the whole low temperate thing is worsened because of the cost of heating. It's so extortionate, many people must watch how high, and how often we can afford to run it. So, moving away from the feelings of relief, at turning the heating off, to having it back on again. Curses!
             The promise of the beach is gone, replaced by the threat if snow and sleet.
          Yesterday, I actually saw some girls, always notorious for not feeling the cold, wearing sleevless outfits. Mad women, I thought to myself. Ha, bet I don't see any today. It will have to considerably warmer before I go out in only one layer of clothing. Although I did forgo my coat yesterday, (but kept it with me). You know England, three seasons in one day. It doesn't do to walk away from an extra layer of clothing, or you are bound to need it. Apparently it is expected to be even colder tomorrow, with the day after, even worse. We might actually see snow, or at least sleet. I must say, it does not warm the heart, or anything else.
            What is it, 'the North wind doth blow, and then we'll have snow and what will the robin do then, poor thing? Yes, I know it's a winter verse. Except the north wind is blowing, the sun has hidden away, as if it has never been. The bright spring flowers, all showing so nicely, are in dire danger from the cold and wind. I was so enjoying the cheerful spring colours so much. Fingers crossed they hang on in there, until the cold spell has gone. It does have to go, doesn't it?

           What I did do, in lue of the missing sun, was to go explore a new chocolate shop I heard of in Ramsgate. There it was, in one of the whole line of arches, built of pretty red brick looking very warm and welcoming. Tucked away near ships chandlers, estate agents, and assorted small businesses, overlooking the ships. Located along by the harbour, heading towards the old ferry port, under the slope of the hill heading towards West cliffe. Inside, it was spacious, lots of seating of quite smart and comfortable sorts. A busy counter, displaying chocolates, and a drinks price list. As well as a few cakes under glass domes, and a line of booze bottles. So, guess it must be licensed too. It was friendly, and busy, with people coming in, and out constantly.

         We had hot chocolate, with all the trimmings, very indulgent. It had an Internet connection there, which pleased one of the party. The drinking chocolate was real, the many types of chocolates were varied, all very tempting. We all enjoyed our half hour there, overlooking the boats outside.
 
             The view from the window, showing the bridge into the harbour standing open.
          So, hate the cold, but there are some thing which become more attractive. One of which, is taking refuge in a comfy place, and indulging the taste buds. The worst thing being, the time when you must again wrap your coat around you, and head out into the bitter wind an cold, for the car, and home.
         Tomorrow, I am off to London for the day, part business, part pleasure. While there, by coincidence, I have an invitation to visit another chocolate house, fairly recently opened too. I suppose one of the reasons for going today, to the harbour, was to see the differences between the two. I am excited, can't wait to be there, and see for myself. Of course, I shall take photos, and talk about to you, dear readers.
           More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment