Wednesday 30 July 2014

Brasil ..land of contrasts

           Of course I can't pretend that I have been to every corner of this vast country. I haven't, in fact I have really only seen Bahai in any depth or length of time. Which, I suppose in the grand scheme of things is a little country region, albeit with a lovely coast line. Which means I must stress, for honesty's sake, my limitations on how well I know this country. Yet it's a fair size, including a few nice seaside resorts, and Salvador......in my opinion, big towns are better avoided. But, it's every man...or woman for themselves.
                             The map of Bahia, located just above Rio
          You cannot be unaware of the fact that it's a third world country. Even though, in many parts there are vast mprovements of all sorts happening. Of course it is a mineral rich country, something that must explain some of the growth over the fifteen years I have known it. It's enconomy has improved overall, as has the purchasing power, the strength of its money. The 'Riael', Brazil's money has strengthened in tandem with that. At present it stands about 4 to the GBP, where once it stood about 7. Now with being on the a World stage by hosting the World Cup, it's profile is elevated further still. Yet as a place to invest, I think it promises being a good risk. Investing in the right area, most areas are likely to grow over the course of the next several years. Property being one of the areas I would be  more than happy to invest.      
           Bearing in mind it is South America, a country where everything takes time...and in many cases money too, sometimes just to grease the wheels. After a very short stay, you begin to realise you must either slow down to fit in with the culture of manyana, and disregarded time keeping, or quickly go mad. It's impossibly to push things on as fast as you may be accustomed to them happening in the West. Utterly impossible, a hour late is a good result, a day, or a week late is more normal. Jobs are done eventually, but again to the same standard of what we might call sloppy, haphazard workmanship. This often means calling the workman several times to do the same job, and pay them every time too. If you can find one who is accountable, you are luckier than I, or my family. Also, where we might go to one place to get a job done, here, you go to three, and be prepared to stand a long time at each. It's a country where everyone takes their time...so you better had too.
                   Many private houses and Pousadas are of good quality, to be enjoyed.
          Of course, I am not a conventional tourist. I have family here, family with Brasilian spouses and children. So, when I visit, I do so more as a local might do. I am not staying in one of the many Pousadas (bed & breakfast boarding houses), hotels, but in a private house, amongst other locals. I am always here for an extended visit of several weeks, or months. I shop in the supermarkets and markets, and I don't look for amusement as I might do as a tourist. We have family get togethers and outings, even, on occaision taking part in the local religious services. Some of which are held in private houses, a lovely informal affair, with visiting speakers or healers. Where there is food for all to end the evening. This particular religion is close to our Spiritualist churches. Although the main religion is said to be Catholic, there are many of these newer offshoots around. On the whole, I have found most people to be more religious than those I know in Europe. A personal observation of course.
            Things are often done in the traditional way here. Especially housework I notice. The difference being labour is cheap, it's possible to have gardener, a cleaner or whatever. You will see them work hard....if they like you. Respect is important here, and why not indeed. Yet the broom, if doing housekeeping, is the indispensable and main tool I notice. They do not use vacuum cleaners, dusters, mops and buckets or anything remotely high tech. The broom, head upwards, dusts ceilings, blinds, walls. Where mats, cushions and other soft furnishings are beaten by hand...to my mind causing more dust. The broom, head down sweeps, with the addition of a wet cloth wrapped around the head, it washes floors. Yes indeed, the broom is king here. Thereby, the labour needs to be cheap, as they take all day to clean a house. It seems to me they like being there, as well as sharing the family meal times. Strange practice to many of us I'm sure. The streets are cared for in much the same way, brooms, dustpans, bins and wash/brooms outside the shops.
                       There are many beautiful beaches, none difficult to get to, or enjoy.
              You won't find many places open early, as I've said before. Nearer lunchtime, most shops and cafes begin to open. The beach here, as everywhere, relies on the sun. Some businesses will close soon after lunch, not to reopen in the late afternoon or evening. Some will remain closed until late afternoon, then stay open until no one else needs them. So, you have to learn where to find what you need, when you need it. I do like the self service cafes. It's like the set up we have for buffet meals at home, except your food is weighed to ascertain how much you need to pay. A much better way of doing things I thnk, avoiding people taking more than they can eat, just becasue it's there. It's makes you cautious about waste, which has to be a good thing. Of course there are many places where you choose from a menu. Mostly with pictures as in some Chinese places in Europe. Make sure you check the price is as stated though, as some places will see a Gringo, or Gringa and think we have unlimited funds...charging accordingly. I have been caught out a couple of times. Annoying, as I am not here with tourists funds, but only moderate ones. They then lose a customer, as you don't go back, no one likes being ripped off. Even if you are a tourist, which I'm not. Of course, it's still modest by European standards, but when on a restricted budget, every pound counts.

          With it being wet season, you quickly see how the rain affects everyone. Don't be surprised if appointments don't happen when it rains. People often just stay at home, or they may have experienced more trouble through floods or leaks than is normal for us. They seldom let you know of any change of plans either....expecting that what they do is normal. Many people live very simply, botched together houses, drainage is poor, septic drains are worse, water supply is undrinkable. Everyone buys water in for the house. Like the roads, many paths are still only compressed soil. The thing is, when it rains it really rains here. It's like standing under a high pressure shower. Of which, no one I know, has one installed. Showers are of piddling speed and often only luke warm. However houses can be surprisingly bright, cheerful and clean once inside. Its different, that's all. Plus, as I said before, even if your Portugese is poor, or non existent, people are very friendly. I trot about all over alone with no fear. Who's to say if I'm brave, or foolhardy......I just know it feels good to me.
As for the differences, well 'viva la difference' I say. It's all growing on me, even the language and I said a whole sentence today, so can't be bad.
More later my friends.
             
               A quick snapshot of the street and cafe where I sit today. Busy, ordinary, not a touristy place at all, but I like that.
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment